Last year when we moved into our new house in July, we put together a few small raised beds for a garden in our backyard. This year we got a much earlier start on the garden and it has grown much bigger. It all began back in April when Paul rented a tiller and cleared out a large 18x18 square in the middle of our yard. It's huge! We had a compost bin that we collected compost in all year and it has definitely helped our garden to grow. We are growing tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, pole beans, bush beans, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, blueberries and some herbs. The tomato plants already have over 150 tomatoes on the vines and are well over 6 feet tall thanks to the healthy compost. It has been fun to pick and eat some of the fresh produce and I can't wait to have some fried green tomatoes soon. 

The proud gardener
2 comments:
YUM! I keep saying I want a garden, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe next spring I'll get busy and get one planted. We have plenty of room, but the thought of taking care of a garden terrifies me! I'll have to refer back to Paul's garden for inspiration... he started smaller and then moved up the next year... maybe I can do the same thing. Enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies!
holy cow! you weren't kidding when you said it was huge! i love it and am jealous (renters can't have a garden, unfortunately!) So proud of you and Paul's gardening skills though! didn't know you had that talent! :)
Post a Comment